Monday, June 2, 2008

Three weeks already!

See what happens, have a baby and the bloggin' comes to an end! I've tried to update this blog on numerous occasions but something always seems to intervene ...like a hungry baby or a poopy diaper. There is so much to say I'm not even sure where to begin. Well as I posted in my last blog, Audrey was born on May 12th via c-section. We spent 4 days in the hospital and finally made it home on May 16th. Our first couple of nights on our own were a bit challenging, especially since I was still recovering from the surgery but we made it through, as all new parents do. It wasn't until our fifth day home that we realized something was wrong ...not with baby but with mom. I was having hot flashes and cold sweats which I brushed off as hormones but finally Mike insist we check my temperature which to our surprise was at 103 F ...back to the hospital we go! I was diagnosed with endometritis which is a common infection that may occur after a c-section. The only way to fight it is through IV antibiotics which had to be pumped in me for five days so our Memorial Day weekend was spent in the hospital. It was a disappointment yet we were lucky to have been able to bring Audrey to the hospital with us so I could continue to breastfeed and not have a mental breakdown, which almost did happen when I was forced away from her for just 6 hours in the ER (pregnancy hormones are wacked ...I don't think I stopped crying the entire time I was away from her). We were finally released again from the hospital the Tuesday after Memorial day only to have been sent back to the ER the next day because my incision opened up. You can imagine my reaction to having to go back to the hospital but it turned out that I didn't have to be admitted this time. I just needed a quick patch up in the ER and I was finally back home, this time to stay, with my baby.
Audrey is doing great. She's already past her birth weight and is doing very well with the breastfeeding, especially since she was forced to indulge in a bottle of formula here and there when I wasn't able to feed her during my medical incarceration. She sleeps really good ...during the day! Her night time fits usually start around 9pm and will last until midnight. During this time all she wants to do is feed ...there is no break for me or my boobs! Finally around midnight she'll settle down and sleep from anywhere between 2 to 4 hours until her next feeding. The days surprisingly go by really fast but I think thats because we really haven't found our routine yet. Mike goes back to work tomorrow so I think things are gonna finally find their way to normal around here! So my new job begins and I'm lovin' every minute of it!


6 comments:

Krista said...

Oh my gosh! She's changed so much in 10 days! I can't wait to see her tomorrow :)

Heather Shea said...

I love the pictures! Keep them coming please!!! I can't believe how much she looks just like you!!!Give her hugs and kisses from Aunt Heather!

Anonymous said...

that black and white one is so sweet. loved seeing you guys on saturday. call if you need anything or just want to talk. love ya
danielle

Anonymous said...

Love the pics, so glad I finally got to see her on Saturday! Be sure to check your front porch tomorrow morning :-) Or afternoon if I don't get up early enough.
Jen

Heather said...

No arguing that you've been through more than most new moms. Just proves that you have it in you to be a great mom to such a cute little one! Sam would like to schedule a play date soon;)

Kele C said...

I'm so impressed with your optimism! I think i would be very grouchy after all you've been through. But I'm glad to hear your home with the little ladie and happy as can be! Congrats on the little beauty again!