Sunday, July 27, 2008

11 Weeks

Audrey had a very busy week and unfortunately a tough one at that. A week ago last Friday we were set to take our second camping trip when she woke up with a fever. After a 6 hour visit to the ER we found that she was fighting a Urinary Tract Infection. Doesn't sound like a big deal, as a matter of fact the ER doctor told us that it's pretty common in young females, however our primary pediatrician wanted to dig more into the fact of why she got the infection. She wanted to test Audrey for vesicoureteral reflux which is when urine from the bladder flows back up into the kidneys, hence causing an infection. I was optimistic the whole time, certain she didn't have it however I was wrong. After a very uncomfortable (and painful for mom and dad to watch) procedure involving a small tube inserted in the bladder and x-rays it was found that she does indeed suffer from this condition. At this time there isn't much we can do for her but keep her on an antibiotic for 1 year and hope that within time, as she grows, the problem will fix itself. The good news is that as long as we can keep her infection free this is not painful to Audrey in any way. As a matter of fact, within 24 hours of having her on the antibiotic her fever broke and she was back to herself again. She has an appointment with a Urologist at the end of August so we'll keep you posted on her progress.
Now on to happier times. Audrey is really starting to focus on people, especially Mike and I. Mike can almost get her to giggle at times. She does however smile a lot more now even though she still has her cranky time in the evening. We're hoping that will miraculously disappear once she turns 3 months ...fingers crossed! I've also recently discovered that she likes her mobile now (plays John Lennon's Imgaine) and she's starting to tolerate the swing more but only if it's on the fastest setting. She likes speed ...must of got that from her dad.

Next weekend I'm going away for the first time for Sara's bachlorette weekend. Dad and Audrey are on there own! I'll blog all about it went when I get back ...or maybe I'll have Mike blog about it. I'm sure they'll do just fine together ...I'll probably have a harder time then they will!

I've posted some photos of the smiles I was able to capture ...they're much more precious when you catch them in real life though.

6 comments:

Krista said...

These photos are just precious!!! I'll be around this weekend, so I'm happy to lend a hand if needed! :) You girls have fun!

Heather Shea said...

I love the pictures! She looks like Mike allot in that first picture!!! Wow!! Have a good time this weekend, wish I was going to be there with you girls! Try to enjoy your time away as much as you can, I know it's going to be hard to leave....Love you!

Anonymous said...

cute pics. she just keeps on getting more adorable every post. sorry to hear she had to go through all of that but am glad to hear she is ok.

love ya, danielle

Heather said...

I agree with Heather...that first picture looks a lot like Mike! Don't worry, you get used to everyone saying your baby that you lost your body for, went through hours of pain for..and grew from just a little tadpole...looks like your spouse.

Anonymous said...

She sure is a cutie and a smile to light up anyones day! I'm so sorry to hear of her terrible time poor little girl. Glad she's doing better now thats a relief for Mommy & Daddy! As always I really enjoy pics of all Sammy's little friends!
Blogs are great! Donna

Kele C said...

Both of my nieces suffer from the same thing, the younger of the two grew out of it at 2 my older niece still takes the medicine for it but doesn't have problems. If you have any qustions about it i can give you my sister's e-mail.

Glad to hear the rest of baby life is going well. Those smiles are so precious and so hard to capture, keep enjoying them!